6.27.2009

Rock the Garden: An Anti-Climactic Finish


Thousands of people streamed into the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden last Saturday for MPR's annual Rock the Garden show. This year's headliners: Solid Gold, Yeasayer, Calexico, and The Decemberists.
The crowd was elated for the full evening of music they had ahead of them. After sitting in the 90 degree heat with the sun beating on my back and the sweat dripping in places I didn't know I could sweat (like my eyeballs), I was more than ready when the first band hit the stage at 4:30. It was worth the wait, however. Solid Gold blew my mind and the minds of everyone in the crowd with their energy and upbeat songs which pulsated out of the speakers and into our waiting ear canals. Yeasayer brought an equal amount of energy to the stage and, with synthesizers blaring, brought the show to a whole new level.
Next came Calexico, a band with an alternative beat and a mariachi vibe. While I do enjoy the occasional Calexico song on the highway with the windows rolled down and the sun on my face, at Rock the Garden the band made for a very random choice. Their sound didn't fit with the rock beats of Solid Gold, the synthesizers of Yeasayers, or the mellowed-out sounds of the Decemberists. While this might have been the intention of MPR when choosing the Rock the Garden line-up, I wasn't entirely digging it. The half-drunk, chubby girl in the muumuu and headscarf dancing around in front of me really seemed into it, however.
The final band of the night was the Decemberists. Often described as literary and lyrical, the band has garnered many fans throughout its existence. The music was tuneful and strangely beautiful, the crowed was totally mellow and digging it, but I left disappointed. After having been so pumped up by Solid Gold and the Yeasayers, the Decemberists proved to be a rather anti-climactic finish for me. Overall, though, the experience was great, the people watching always fantastic, and I will definitely be back next year.
~LeejaKelly~

No comments:

Post a Comment